California, USA - Diane Keaton's latest house is built with old bricks reclaimed from Chicago. She goes onto describe the 750,000 pieces of clay as her favourite part of the house and how she fell in love with the bricks. In an interview with Carson Griffith, Architectural Digest, Diane reveals, 'I started to really love the brick and the textures of it, and, well, I don't know, how they weren't perfect.'
Architectural Digest: Diane Keaton Tells Us About Her New Book: The House That Pinterest Built.
Publisher: Rizzoli - The House that Pinterest Built by Diane Keaton
Diane's favourite room is the industrial style kitchen with the eighteenth century old brick exposed and reclaimed wood beams. The magical light comes from reclaimed industrial lighting and the huge industrial windows.
Diane Keaton is well known for her renovation projects of old properties but has found this project using old bricks with their unique original texture is one she would do again.
There is a huge environmental benefit of reusing bricks too. Thornton Kay, Salvo compares the manufacture of ten new bricks to the energy equivalent of a gallon of petrol. Yet millions of old bricks continue to be crushed rather than reused.
The Los Angeles home was designed with the help of architect David Takacs and designers Stephen Shadley, Cynthia Carlson and Toben Windahl. Inspiration for the bricks came from fond memories of the child's tale of 'Three Little Pigs'. In the story the house made from bricks is the one safe from the wolf. In real life, Diane's house has been designed to be both earthquake resistant and fireproof. Other design ideas house came from Pinterest and all is now revealed in a book, The House That Pinterest Built. Photographed by Lisa Romerein. Published by Rizzoli.
See the links below to Architectural Digest and Rizzoli for more images of Diane Keaton's house and details about the book. Diane Keaton will also be discussing he love affair with home and design at the World Trade Center, Dallas on January 18th, 2018. See details here: dallasmarketcenter.com
Find further reclaimed and architectural salvage design inspiration from SalvoWEB on Pinterest at salvowebpins.
Images ©Salvo are items currently for sale on the worldwide SalvoWEB online marketplace.
1. Handmade reclaimed bricks. for Sale on SalvoWEB from Reclaimed World.
2. Phillips Industrial Ribbed Pendant Lights. Large industrial metal pendant lights with detachable shades. For Sale on SalvoWEB from English Salvage.
3. Reclaimed Original Antique Large Cast Iron Industrial Base. This will make a fabulous table. Original cast iron industrial table base made by 'Stenner & Gunn'. For Sale on For Sale on SalvoWEB from UK Architectural Antiques.
4. Enormous Industrial Cast Iron Surface Table with 6 Legs. For Sale on For Sale on SalvoWEB from Norfolk Antique & Reclamation.
5. Reclaimed Brick. A batch of 3"/75 mm imperial bricks from a site in Gloucester. For Sale from on SalvoWEB from Winchcombe Reclamation.
6. Reclaimed Hand Made 2+3/4 inch Yellow Bricks Great batch of hand made yellow bricks. In excellent reclaimed condition and all from the same job. For Sale on SalvoWEB from Warwick Reclamation.
7. Vintage Industrial lighting. For Sale on SalvoWEB - Salvo US from Schiller's who offer an extensive selection of vintage industrial lighting items, in NOS condition! All the brand names famous for quality and design, Crouse-Hinds, Appleton Electric and Holophane.
8. Reclaimed brick tile. For Sale on SalvoWEB - Salvo US from The Storied Salvage Company. Original antique reclaimed brick tiles, sliced to order in their warehouse.
Story Type: Feature